Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Begining!!!

Soundtrack : "Everyday Superhero" by Smash Mouth

The sun is shining down on the Matt-Mansion with the bright light of spring. The trees are moving in the breeze on which several birds are taking wing. Numerous small animals are busily going about the daily business of gathering food.


Steadily the picture moves in on the second floor window in which we can see a room filled with books and a large desk. Sitting at the desk, engrossed with a menagerie of books and papers is man in his thirties. While he sits apparently consumed by some unknown enigma the door opens and a tall gentleman enters in the armor of a butler.

“Sir lunch is ready. Would you like me to bring it up or are you coming down?”

His voice is soft and deep with a definite New England accent. Standing at the door he waits for an answer. The man seems to not notice him at all as he picks up one of the scattered books and flips through it with intent. Stopping at a page he reads for a minute then slaps the book closed and flops it down on the table with exasperation. As if in response to his emotions several of the pages use this force to fling themselves off the table. The butler moves over and begins to retrieve them noticing what they are he looks perplexed.

“Sir you are preparing for the up coming interview for your new job?”

“What? Oh yeah the interview, I figure I will just wing it. You know, regale some of my past experience with my usual flare. No this is far more important. This is going to be key to my success.”

“Oh? What might I ask is this all important detail that has you so perplexed?”

“What my costume is.”

Jives places the errant pages back on the table and looks at his boss with a questioning look.

“Costume sir? I agree that what a man wears to his interview is very important, but I have never heard it called “a costume”. Or was there an invitation to a party I was not made aware of? If you don’t tell me things like this I cannot plan your daily itinerary properly.”

“What are you talking about? Here I am pondering my Super Hero identity and you are babbling on about parties. Wait, why would I need a costume for a party?

“Well sir there are still masquerade parties in the world.”

“Where would those be held? Who even uses that word anymore? I will have to keep an eye on you cause there is something odd here.”

“Sir am I to understand that you are intending to become a spandex clad knight of justice?”

“There you go again with your crazy words and ideas. No not spandex, that went out with the 80’s, and none to soon either. Could you see me in spandex?”

“Mm, yes sir and far to much of you to be certain. For the civilized world let me thank you for that consideration.”

“You are welco… Hey! What are you saying? I know I am not a body builder but it isn’t that bad. Anyway to answer your important question, yes I am donning a costume to fight evil.”

“Not to burden you with insignificant details but just a couple points to point out. One you don’t have any powers which usually are needed by a super hero, Second you don’t have a real job so how can you afford to be a super hero because last I looked it didn’t pay very well. “

“Oh ye of little faith. I will have a job soon; the Post Office is just a matter of time. As far as powers are concerned I do have one.”

Jives looks up in bewilderment and surprise.

“Sir has a power? That is amazing. That means that I get to buttle for a real live super hero. To be up there with the likes of Alfred. Sir please don’t keep this secret any longer, reveal your power.”

Jives steps back expecting anything from a blast of some energy to his boss transforming into some great beast. As he looks on in anticipation his boss looks pensive. Then with a devilish look he leaps onto the desk, scattering books and papers everywhere and strikes an epic pose.

“I have the power of being Matt! Or as I have come to call it Matterocity! Which is why I am having so much trouble picking a name”

Jives lowers his eyes and shakes his head. Matt changes his pose but shows no sign of coming down.

“Plucked from the heights of fame and plunged to the depths of mediocrity.”

Matt looks down in disgust losing his pose.

“NO! It is called Matt-erocity. It is my power and I will use it defeat evil.”

“Sir with that so-called power why not just call yourself Matt-Man. Your costume would just be what you wear everyday.”

With that Matt’s eyes widen and he leaps from the desk landing in front of Jives. Grabbing Jives by the shoulders he smiles.

“Jives you are a genius! That is perfect! I am Matt-Man! I could kiss you if you weren’t a guy.”

“Oh thank God for small favors. Sir I was being sarcastic, what the devil has gotten in to you? What brought this flight of fancy upon you?”

Matt-Man steps back and looks hard at Jives. He studies him for a moment and then points at him accusingly.

“There is defiantly something different about you. Don’t worry I will figure it out.”

Jives closes his eyes and sighs, shoulders slumping in resignation.

“Sir I am simply a butler nothing more. Now please tell me what is behind this sudden carrier choice.”

Matt-Man looks closely at Jives for a moment then shrugs and turns back to the desk making his way to his chair as he begins.

“Well it seems like it was yesterday. I was just sitting in the park waiting for the train to come…”

Fade to black with the words.

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: